Ontario Works

Community and Human Services offices will be managing all inquiries and requests via telephone but will remain open for those individuals who visit the office due to an emergency situation. Clients are encouraged to call their Caseworker or Property Supervisor directly or contact the office through our Intake Access Centre 613-771-9630 or 1-866-414-0300. Where possible essential services that are non-emergency cases clients are encouraged to complete as much of the process over the phone and email as possible. All non-essential in person appointments with clients have been cancelled. The hours of operation has changed and will now be open from 8:30 am to 12 pm and 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. For inquiries about Community and Human Services programs and services, contact inquiry@hastingscounty.com.

If you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, fever, shortness of breath), do NOT come to our offices. Self-isolate and visit hpepublichealth.ca for more information. If you have recently travelled or have been in close contact with an individual who has probable/confirmed case, do NOT come to our offices. Self-isolate and contact Hastings Prince Edward Public Health at 613-966-5500 or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 for more information and guidance.


Ontario Works provides employment and financial assistance to help you become financially independent and to improve quality of life for you and your family. If you qualify for financial assistance you must participate in employment related activities unless you are unable due to a serious medical condition or you are required to provide care to family members.

Hastings County Ontario Works has four offices:

  • 228 Church St., Belleville, 613-966-1311 / 1-800-267-0575
  • 91 Creswell Dr., Trenton, 613-392-1387
  • 56 Russell St. North, Madoc, 613-473-5258
  • 1P Manor Lane, Suite 3, Level 2, Bancroft, 613-332-3410 / 1-866-569-1941

Employment Services
Financial Assistance

How to apply

Please contact the Intake Access Centre at 613-771-9630 or 1-866-414-0300 Monday- Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm. It can take up to 30 minutes to complete your full telephone application. Please have the following information readily available for all members of your family before calling:

  • full address including postal code
  • date of birth
  • social insurance numbers
  • health card numbers
  • income / earnings details (ie.. pay stubs)
  • banking information (account information including account balances)
  • accommodation information (rent or mortgage details, utility costs)
  • asset details (ie. life insurance)

You may also apply on-line at www.ontario.ca/socialassistance 24 hours a day.

The Hastings County Social Services Department utilizes Bell Relay Service (BRS) to facilitate communication for TTY teletypewriter users and hearing impaired persons.

Accessing the BRS:

  • TTY teletypewriter national access: 711
  • Voice callers: 1-800-855-0511
  • Mobile: #711

Contacts:For general program inquiries and/or information pertaining to our complaint and/or appeal process please contact the Intake Access Centre at 1-866-414-0300. For emergency service after 4:30pm and on weekends, call 1-613-317-6544.

More information: