- Functions in accordance and understands their scope of practice and controlled acts model as documented in the Nursing Act and the Regulated Health Professions Act
- Each nurse will know and meet the professional standards and all other Standards of the College of Nurses of Ontario and therefore:
- Is accountable to the public and is responsible for ensuring that her/his practice and conduct meets legislative requirements, standards of the profession and hospital policies and procedures.
- Maintains and continually improves her/his competence by assuming responsibility for his/her professional development and by participating in the College of Nurses of Ontario’s quality assurance program.
- Understands, upholds and promotes the ethical values and beliefs of the hospital and the College of Nurses.
- Possesses, through basic education and continuing learning, knowledge relevant to her/his professional practice.
- Continually improves the application of professional knowledge by using nursing frameworks, theories and /or processes. This includes the performance of clinical skills because the technical and cognitive aspects of care are closely related and cannot be separated.
- Demonstrates her/his leadership by providing, facilitating and promoting the best care and service to the patient and the public.
- Contributes to and participates in the hospital-wide continuous quality improvement program by assisting to implement changes as required to improve services and enhance departmental efficiency.
- Accurately and consistently adheres to all departmental and hospital policies and procedures.
- Current registration and a member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario and maintains competence and on-going professional development through participation in the college’s quality assurance program
- Current ACLS certification
- 12 Lead ECG interpretation and coronary care
- Current BCLS certification
- Current certification in the neonatal resuscitation program
- Strong clinical skills
- Excellent problem solving
- Computer skills including MS word processing, internet use and ability to easily learn program specific software
- Ability to meet physical demands of the job
For Registered Nurse (emergency department) additional qualifications include certification in trauma nursing core course and emergency nursing pediatric course or PALS, two years of recent emergency room experience and experience to act as a clinical resource in all clinical areas. Emergency nursing certificate is an asset.