Requesting a Virtual Delegation to Hastings County Council or Committee of Council
Hastings County Council welcomes members of the public who want to address Council at a Committee or Council Meeting.
A delegation by an individual or community group (with one or more presenters) on a matter of local public interest is limited to no more than 10 minutes. Up to two speakers can participate in one delegation, limited to a total of not more than ten (10) minutes.
All delegations are subject to the approval of the Warden and are scheduled according to the subject matter.
*The subject matter of delegations must be approved by the Warden before you make a delegation to a Committee or Council.
Submit your delegation request online at https://hastingscounty.com/request-a-virtual-delegation/. Ensure you fill out all of the required fields and provide as much information as possible.
Submit a letter to the County Clerk that provides:
- Your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- Full names of all presenters.
- Date you wish to present your delegation.
- A brief statement of the subject matter, the outcome that is sought and what action you are requesting from Council.
- If you are requesting funding, attach financial information or budgets related to the request.
- An overview of your delegation.
- Your signature.
Mail or email your information to:
235 Pinnacle Street, Postal Bag 4400
Timelines, Dates and Process
Your request for a delegation must be received no later than ten days prior to the date of the meeting at which you wish to appear. Please note, your delegation request, including your contact information will be distributed to County Council and staff, and be posted on the County website for the media and the public.
If a group wishes to address Council, the group should designate their spokesperson(s). Council will not hear separate delegations on a specific topic from members of the same group.
The Clerk’s Office will send you a notice, confirming the date of your delegation, and may call to ask for additional information. Until the Clerk’s Office receives all the required information, the delegation cannot be scheduled.
PowerPoint: PowerPoint presentations are not required. If you choose to use PowerPoint, the presentation must be provided to the Office of the County Clerk no later than ten days before the meeting to allow time for testing.
All material provided will become public information and will be provided to Council members and staff, and posted on the County website for the media and the public.
For further information please contact the Office of the County Clerk at 613-966-1311 ext. 3205.
What to expect when you make your virtual delegation to Hastings County Council
Please note you are attending a business meeting of Hastings County Council and procedural rules are used to guide conduct.
Except in cases where there is urgency in the matter, Council will not consider a Motion regarding a delegation the same day as it is presented unless it is associated with another item on the Agenda.
Delegations are heard at the beginning of each meeting. Please read and note the following:
- Council meetings are scheduled to begin at 10:00am.
- The Office of the County Clerk will send you a meeting link via email the week before the meeting.
- Please log in to the meeting at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. You will be held in the virtual waiting room until the Clerk admits you, just before the meeting starts.
- Delegations must remain on mute with their cameras off until the Chair calls on them to speak.
- When your name is called, unmute and turn your camera on.
- You will have 10 minutes to make your delegation.
- Start your delegation by introducing yourself and your fellow delegates with your full names.
- Remember that Council already has the information you have submitted. You can refer to the document without reading the document word for word.
- Explain why you are making the delegation and what action you are requesting from Council.
- If you are using PowerPoint, the presentation will be operated by the Deputy Clerk.
- After making your delegation, mute your microphone but keep your camera on. Be prepared to unmute if Council members ask any questions.
- When addressing Council or answering a question, regardless of who has asked the question, you should always address your comments to the Committee Chair and/or Warden. This will help to maintain order at the meeting. (e.g. “Through the Chair…”)
- When responding to questions please provide a direct answer. Delegates are not permitted to debate with members of Council.
- No delegate shall speak disrespectfully of any person, use offensive words or unparliamentary language, or speak on any subject other than the subject for which they have received approval to address Council.
- Following questions, the Chair will advise when your delegation is over. Please turn off your camera and log out of the meeting. If you do not log out of the meeting, you will be removed from the meeting as your delegation is complete. If you would like to continue watching the meeting, it can be viewed on the Hastings County Facebook page.
For those attending a virtual meeting we require that you read and note the following:
- No behavior is permitted that interrupts the conduct of a meeting.
- No one may use disrespectful language, gestures or offensive words.
- Taking photos and/or making recordings of any kind are not allowed unless with the permission of the County Clerk.
- Signs and t-shirts with specific slogans or offensive language are not permitted.
- Delegates and guests are not permitted to share their screen.
- Delegates and guests must not participate in the meeting chat.
If a delegate or guest attempts to display language, behavior or video that is not in keeping with the decorum of the meeting or acts contrary to any of the above-noted rules, or in contravention of the Ontario Human Rights Code, the person will be asked by the Chair / Warden to cease and come to order. If the person does not come to order, the person shall be removed from the virtual meeting.
All communication that the Clerk receives from members of the public about a matter on a Committee or Council Agenda shall be part of the public record.
All Committee and Council meetings are live-streamed on the Hastings County Facebook Page and are posted for 24 hours.