Housing Services

Hastings County, through the Hastings Local Housing Corporation (HLHC), provides safe, modest and affordable housing for low income households. In addition, Hastings County, as Service Manager for Social Housing, is responsible for encouraging the development of new housing including non-profit/cooperative housing and affordable rental housing.

The HLHC units are located in Bancroft, Belleville, Coe Hill, Deseronto, Madoc, Marmora, Stirling, Quinte West (Trenton and Frankford Wards) and Tweed. The HLHC directly owns 1,433 social housing units. The Housing Services division of the Social Services Department manages these units and administers funding for 282 rent supplement units and 855 non-profit/cooperative housing units owned by 15 different non-profit/cooperative housing corporations.

The Housing Services office also administers the Social Housing Registry. This list provides one centralized waiting list for social housing in Hastings County.

How to apply for social housing

Please contact the Intake Access Centre at 613-771-9630 or 1-866-414-0300 during regular business hours Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm. Staff will help you complete an application over the phone. You must have a valid Social Insurance Number to apply. Alternatively, you may print off the paper application form and mail it in. You may also request to have a paper application mailed to you by contacting the Intake Access Centre or the Housing Services office.

Emergency Housing

Unfortunately, Housing Services does not supply emergency housing. Instead, please call Ontario Works at 613-771-9630 or 1-866-414-0300. After hours, call the Canadian Mental Health Association or 1-877-528-9514.

Waiting list

The length of your wait depends on the number of bedrooms required, location preference and vacancy turnover rate. This means we cannot tell you where you are on the wait list, nor can we predict how long you will have to wait.

Rent you will pay

Rent is approximately 30% of your total gross household income. Persons receiving a fixed income such as Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program pay rates that are set by the Province of Ontario.

More Information