In the Province of Ontario, you must register under the Business Names Act if you are:
- a sole proprietorship (one owner) carrying on business under a name other than your own full name
- a partnership carrying on business under a firm name other than the full names of you and your partners
- a corporation carrying on business under a name other than your corporate name;
- an existing general partnership or limited partnership registering a business name different from your registered firm name
- a limited liability partnership
- an extra-provincial limited liability partnership; and
- an extra-provincial limited liability company
Download an information sheet on Registering Your Business Name in Ontario.
To register a business name and obtain a Master Business Licence, you are invited to visit Business Registration Online.
Permits & licenses
The Province of Ontario provides an online service where you can search for the different types of permits or licences you may need to operate your business.